Monday 12 July 2010

Bristol is all Whistles and Balony

With all this depressing economical nonsense going on it is great to see two new stores opening in Bristol this week, both at completely opposite ends of the fashionable scales.

The first is Whistles, which is coming to Park Street this week, taking the place of the cheap and cheerful shoe shop Jade. The curved glass windows of the listed building will be perfect for showing off the surprisingly cutting edge fashions that Whistles now offers, see S/S 10 below.


When I was younger I remember Whistles as being one of those grown up brands that could only be worn by career women of a certain age but I have been pleasantly surprised by their last few seasons. This revamp is thanks to Jane Shepherdson, the former Brand Director of Topshop, who took Whistles under her wing in 2008 and reinvented it as a fashion-forward brand for chic essentials and one-off pieces.

I'm not sure when exactly the store is opening but I do know it will retain the character and original period features that make it such a beauty to look at - more info as and when I have it.

The second shop to be opening it's doors this week is a Ship-Shape favourite. I loved Cox & Baloney from the moment I saw it in Woolies market, below, which you can read all about here. So successful was their stall at the indoor market that the owners made the leap to go solo in their own store, situated on Cheltenham Road, near Colston Girls School.

The store actually opened its doors for trading on Saturday but will be having an official launch party this Saturday, 17th July, and will be full of vintage and reworked treasures plus lots of new and exciting collaborations. Owners Amy & Joney really made the space at Woolies their own and although there have been a few sneak peek photos of the new store I can't wait to see it in the flesh and no doubt bag myself a bargain to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment