Tuesday 25 January 2011

Behind the scenes: Gok's Roadshow

This afternoon I found myself in a disused shop in Quakers Friars, watching a camera crew and production team flutter around a cute set full of colourful clutch bags, towering multi-coloured heels and quirky high street finds. It was of course all for Gok Wan's new Channel 4 show, Gok's Clothes Roadshow.

A twist on the original Gok's Fashion Fix format, Gok's Clothes Roadshow sees Gok and designer obsessive Brix Smith-Start are taking their high street vs high end battle on the road and Bristol is the latest city to get a visit, along with the likes of Birmingham, Liverpool and London.

Today a selection of Bristol's fashion enthusiasts, students and journalists have made their pilgrimage to Cabot Circus to see Gok at work, dressed in blouses, blazers, leopard print jackets and ankle boots. I join them outside in the rain, waiting to get a first glimpse of the man himself.

Gok was a hit at Cabot Circus last September

After shooting was delayed for over an hour - the morning filming session had overrun and even TV's best loved fashionista needs to eat lunch - we were allowed to enter the shop and minutes later Gok appeared. Dressed in his trademark black outfit - casually thrown together workman boots, low hanging black jeans and casual shirt layered over a vest - he was actually shorter than I thought he would be.

I must confess I thought I would be watching Gok customising outfits behind the scenes so I was surprised to find that I would be part of Gok's avid (on camera) audience. I can't give away too much but it was a very interactive afternoon and I can't wait to see the episode when it airs later this year.

Gok has no doubt had a massive impact on all the women attending his workshops and the audiences who have already flocked to see his catwalk frock-offs with Brix. If you want to see the catwalk show for Bristol then it is taking place on Friday (28th) at 5pm in Cabot Circus.
Come down to see the latest high street and designer trends and don't forget to check out Gok's Clothes Roadshow tonight at 8pm on Channel 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment